August 25, 2010

Manti Temple Whole Wheat Bread

Stacie here: I have a recipe I love for whole wheat bread, but I have always wanted to try this recipe of Mom's. I finally did! I used freshly ground wheat flour, and I LOVE it. In fact, I might keep using this recipe now. I love that it makes 3 loaves. I always have a hard time fitting 4 in my oven. This is good stuff!


This quick delicious wheat bread is made and served fresh daily at the Manti Utah Temple.

6 C whole wheat flour
2 C white flour
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp yeast
1 C powdered milk
¼ C shortening, melted
¼ C honey
1 quart warm water

Mix yeast with water. Add honey and melted shortening. Mix 2 C white flour, powdered milk, and salt. Add yeast mixture. Mix well. Add whole wheat flour one cup at a time until dough is stiff and smooth. Knead for 8 minutes. Mold into three loaves and let rise in pans for 30 minutes and then bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. (You only have to let whole wheat bread rise once.)

1 comment:

Andrea Dent said...

Stace, I tried this recipe yesterday and LOVE it! Thank you! I actually have a really hard time getting my bread to turn out, and this one was so easy. I'm currently on a kick with your family recipe blog...THANK YOU!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails