1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1½ cups (packed) light brown sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 packages (24 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chocolate chunks (or chopped chocolate)
additional chopped chocolate bar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place chopped chocolate and butter in a large, heatproof (metal or pyrex) bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth.
3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
4. In a large bowl, with electric mixer beat eggs, brown sugar and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and beat in the melted chocolate mixture. Then mix in dry ingredients and blend just until combined. Stir in chocolate chunks, but leave out candy bar chunks.
5. Drop heaping Tablespoonfuls of dough onto baking sheets, keeping a round shape as much as possible- 2 to 3 inches apart. If you’re using the extra chopped chocolate bar, place 2 to 3 chunks on top of each cookie.
6. Bake until cookies are shiny and crackly, yet still soft in the center, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack with a spatula.
Yield: About 4 dozen